Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Name Change

Okay so I went to officially change my name at the social security office and I was a little sad. Not that I don't want to be known by the same name as my husband but I have been Caroline Mortimer my whole life. To make the matter more difficult the guy at the social security desk wasn't to 'helpful', our conversation is as follows:
Me: I would like to change my name because I just got married.
SSG (Social Security Guy): It's only been a few weeks are you sure. :)
Me: I'm sure
SSG: (Looks at names) Mortimer that's a cool name, you should have your husband change his name to Mortimer because it's way cooler.
Me: I know I do like Mortimer, I even tried to convince him to change it back to Grodinski since it's only been Gross for a few generations.
SSG: Yeah...but Mortimer is still cooler. You should name one of your kids Mortimer, seriously it's such a cool name.
Me: Not a bad idea.
*Then he handed me the receipt and told me it was changed and I'd get the new card in a few weeks. *

I looked at my new name and I thought I am officially no longer Caroline Mortimer, I am Caroline Mortimer Gross. At that exact moment in time I believe I had the same experience my Mom had when my Dad's clothes touched hers for the first time. ;) No worries though; I'm excited to be a Gross it just took me a few seconds to realize I'd never be a Mortimer again (only in name).

2 comments:

Suzy said...

When I changed my I just went with the first and last. Now I wish I would have kept my maiden in the middle. It's there on the church records, and I guess that is all the matters, but it is weird to change.

Ross & Amanda Goodman- but mostly Amanda :) said...

I think you should have gone with something a little more exciting- like Crap Bag! :)