Wednesday, November 10, 2010

New Baby Gross News!

Some people may have missed parts, so I'll start with the important stuff:
First, Carrie was pregnant and due on or around 01/06/2011; our baby (her name is Elenor Marie) was delivered 11/09/2010 at 7:39 PM and is doing great. For those who are not mathematically inclined, that makes Elenor about 2 months early.

On to the story:
This past Sunday Carrie was not feeling well, went to visit her mother. Carrie had a headache and her blood pressure was well beyond the threshold for inducing seizures we found out later. This condition is known as pre-eclampsia and as Wikipedia simply states, "Apart from Caesarean section or induction of labor (and therefore delivery of the placenta), there is no known cure."

I was travelling from California most of Sunday so once I arrived at my mother-in-law's I took Carrie to Orem Community Hospital to see how severe her condition was. Once we arrived she was immediately put on Magnesium Sulfate (and others) to prevent seizures and to try and bring her blood pressure under control and preparations were made to transfer her to UVRMC in Provo. Before the transfer, Carrie was given a shot of steroids to help with the development of Elenor's lungs.

Carrie was transported in an ambulance and I followed in my car; admittedly, I got a little lost because I thought Carrie had been admitted through the Emergency Entrance. However, after a minute or two of running around I found the correct room. The hospital staff told us the baby would have to be delivered soon, one way or another. They wanted another day for the steroids to take effect before inducing labor or preparing for a c-section. On the plus side, our room had a nice view of Mount Timpanogos.

On Monday I went to work so I don't know all the details but the nurses/doctors gave Carrie shots, more meds and possible scenarios of delivery - there were also many visitors and encouragement via text message and Facebook... thank you for your support and prayers.

I was in the hospital on Tuesday and I thought it was going to be more of the same: shots, waiting, monitoring etc. However, around noon-ish, they started Carrie on Pitocin to try and induce labor. We had high hopes and after a few hours it looked like avoiding a c-section might happen, but she was not progressing fast enough. Around 7 PM we were told to expect a Cesarean Section delivery within the next half hour. Carrie wanted to go natural but not at the risk of losing the baby and with the combination of medicine Carrie was on and the effect it was having on Elenor, the doctors did not want to risk a longer labor.

Carrie got an epidural and was taken into the operating room. Elenor was delivered in a matter of minutes and started crying immediately.



Carrie only saw her for a moment as Elenor was lifted over the surgical curtain.

I followed Elenor into post-op while Carrie was being stitched back together.






Elenor was as ready as a 2 month preemie could be under the circumstances. Her APGAR scores were 7 and 8 which basically means she was (and still is ) doing awesome! After some initial measurements and tests were completed (2 lbs 2 oz and 15.5 inches), she was taken to the NICU.


The NICU doctor explained some procedures and what to expect in regards to a release date. Basically a preemie is expected to be in the NICU until the initial expected delivery date. I expect/hope Elenor will be coming home well before January 6th. :-)

I was woken up by Carrie's maternal desire/iron will to see her baby at 3AM Wednesday morning. Me and a couple of nurses took Carrie in a wheelchair to the NICU. I barely remember the event but Carrie wanted to see her baby.


Wednesday was thankfully uneventful, Carrie was recovering from surgery and mostly incoherent due to the lingering effects of the medication she had been on. Around 2 PM The NICU doctor called us to give us an update, Elenor was breathing without any assistance! Which is frankly amazing because she had been born only 18 hours earlier and 2 month preemies do not typically have well developed lungs.


In short Carrie and Elenor are doing great.



Thank you for your love, prayers and support,
Nathan and the Gross Girls ;-)


13 comments:

cruetsonly said...

Wow! That is seriously amazing and she is seriously DARLING!! We will keep you all in our prayers.
~Lisa

GenericSuperHero said...

Sorry I haven't had a chance to edit any of the photos :-/

Bev said...

@GenericSuperHero: thanks for the blog update with details and pictures!

@GrossGirls: Can't wait to see you both!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad everyone is doing so well! Nate, what are you talking about, the pictures are beautiful! (Definitely not what you see in some BRAND newborn pics where they look all gnarly.) Love them all! Especially the one of Ele holding someone's (Carrie's) finger? Precious.

Susan Hymas said...

Congrats :) She is a beautiful little girl! I'm so happy that she is doing so well.

:)

Shae Mickey said...

I'm so glad to hear that they are both doing well! Thank you so much for the update Nate! Ele is beautiful!

Marianne said...

I can already tell that she looks like she belongs to you both. Very cute, and I really want to meet her! Love you all.

Heidi said...

What a relief to know that you're all doing well! Thanks for the update and the lovely pictures. I'll keep you all in my prayers. :)

kendahl a. said...

OHMIGOSH! She is soooo tiny! I'm so glad they are both doing well - send Carrie my love. I cannot wait to meet Ele and hope it's before January 6th. :)

Natalie said...

What a miracle! So glad the girls are doing well. Congratulations!

Shaz said...

My goodness what a miracle sweetheart she is. Mama had a good incubator i reckon, for such amazing adjustment for the outside world. Well done Carrie! We did the NICU with our last, they are so awesome there so I know Ele is great hands! Please call if I can help with your adjustment to this new & challenging chapter. I've been there too. Love always, Sharon M

Tiff said...

She is adorable! Congratulations and I'll pray for a baby home by Christmas!

Julie said...

Congratulations! So thrilled and amazed that baby is doing so well. Pregnant or not, I'm still throwing Carrie (and Elenor) a shower!