Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Very Annoyed!

Alright so for some time now I have been very annoyed with a few things. I was wondering how to get these out in the open and then I noticed many of my pregnant friends have posts up about proper pregnancy etiquette. Like don't tell the parents the name they picked out is ugly, they obviously like it. And other things as well, so I decided it's my turn...I am having a, Proper Etiquette Prior to Expecting, post.

First some background on Nate and I. We have been married for just over a year, we just bought a new house which is a huge financial commitment and we feel Heavenly Father wanted us to do it. We prayed about which way would be better, to get into a home or start having kids, and the best option was to get into a home now so I will have a better chance of being able to stay home with my children. So now on to the annoyances.

1. Please do not corner us and make us tell you when we are going to have a baby. That decision is between Nate, me, and the Lord. When we know and feel good about letting others know we will. I promise! (Especially don't ask in public in front of a lot of people.)

2. Asking again two weeks later may not have changed our minds, in fact it hasn't and won't!

3. I feel uncomfortable telling people we're going to try because I feel that's like telling people, 'Oh yeah we have sex all the time, don't worry it's not awkward because we're trying for a baby.' :P (that's supposed to be a throw up smile, not a joking around smile.) So please stop asking, when that blessed day arrives we will let you know!

4. I have a very big fear we will have trouble conceiving. Now this may be irrational but many people have trouble conceiving, so again don't ask! When we do start 'trying' we may have a hard time and I don't want the constant reminder, of the fact, we can't get pregnant.

5. When I'm excited and tell you Nate and I want kids and are praying to see if it's right, don't look at me in disbelief, and say, 'Really?' That may be the most hurtful thing in the world. I know Nate will be a good Dad, I have my doubts about me as a Mom. So I don't need you to further those doubts, or have me feel I need to defend what a great Dad Nate will be. It boils down to the fact no parent is perfect and when you say things like that to me, I never want to bring up anything important to you EVER again.

6. I can't handle when people are hypocrites, so if you hate when people tell you, you are parenting wrong then don't judge the way we might handle kids we are around. We will do it differently. So stop rolling your eyes and leaning over and whispering to your spouse how we 'already' do it wrong. They aren't our freaking kids! So if we get frustrated it's because we aren't used to messy kids in our house and we shouldn't be the ones picking up after them. (The one exception is if we have offered to babysit.) You are the parent and being at our home doesn't mean you get to relax because we'll take care of your kids for you.

7. This one is not just for me but in regards to ALL newlyweds, If we are sick it doesn't mean we are pregnant, in fact most of the time we really are just sick.

As a side note to number seven I truly hate this one. When Nate and I got married we had only been home from our honeymoon for a week when people started asking us if we had any announcements. Are you freaking kidding me! We wouldn't even know yet so why would we be announcing it.

8. This post doesn't mean I don't love every person who has asked me these questions. I just want everyone to know, enough is enough and I can't handle that question every time I ever speak with someone. I don't want to be asked every time I see you, I would love to talk to you about your life or about our new house or in general anything BUT when we should or should not start trying for a baby.

Alright so I'm done with my rant, I would just like to say again that having a baby and the timing are between the husband and wife, and the Lord. Even when we are 'ready' for a baby and we start to pray to see if now is a good time, Heavenly Father may have different plans for us. So that can be frustrating as well, since I have asked and have felt the answer, 'not yet'. I do continually pray about it but it's hard to follow the promptings of the spirit when everyone is asking when, when, when? If I knew I would be more than excited to let you know but I don't know yet. Heavenly Father hasn't told me yet and I feel so pressured to keep asking, because people keep asking me. Let me work it out with the Lord and then I'll let you know.

1 comment:

Ross & Amanda Goodman- but mostly Amanda :) said...

Oh, Carrie- you more than anybody know just how I feel about this post! I am a teensy bit concerned that 6 is directed at me and my kids though. . . If so, sorry!